Summary of the role:
- To work under guidance to implement work programmes for individuals/groups which could include those requiring detailed and specialist knowledge in particular areas.
- Assisting the whole planning cycle and the management/ preparation of resources. To support the class teacher within our specialist classroom for children with ASD in implementing the curriculum and meeting each child’s needs.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To work with the teacher to establish an appropriate learning environment
- To work with the teacher in lesson planning, evaluating and adjusting lessons/ work plans as appropriate
- To monitor and evaluate pupils’ responses to learning activities through observation and planned recording of achievement against pre-determined learning objectives
- To assist with the development and implementation of IEPs/Provision Maps as appropriate
- To establish productive working relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and setting high expectations
- To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils within the classroom.
- To support pupils consistently whilst recognising and responding to their individual needs
- To encourage pupils to interact and work co-operatively with others and engage all pupil in activities
- To promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward achievement and self-reliance.
- To implement agreed learning activities/teaching programmes, adjusting activities according to pupils’ responses/needs
- To implement literacy and numeracy programmes and make effective use of opportunities provided by other learning activities to support the development of literacy and numeracy skills
- To support the use of ICT in learning activities and develop pupils’ competence and independence in its use
- To determine the need for, prepare and maintain general and specialist equipment and resources
- To provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement.
- To provide objective and accurate feedback and reports as required, to the teacher on pupil achievement, progress and other matters, ensuring the availability of appropriate evidence
- To be responsible for keeping and updating records as agreed with the teacher, contributing to the review of systems/records as requested.
- To promote positive values, attitudes and good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflicts and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
- To take responsibility for a whole school area, working with teachers to ensure impact
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- To supervise pupils on visits, trips and out of school activities as required.
- To support playground/break time/lunches and lunch playtime supervision e.g. educational games, crèche, prep (within employed hours)
Administer first aid as appropriate
- To attend and participate in regular meetings as appropriate.
- To participate in training and other learning activities offered by the school to further knowledge (within employed hours)
- To carry out the above duties in accordance with the School’s Equal Opportunities Policy