With schools closed and parents working from home some fantastic, forward thinking companies have offered free resources for parents and teachers. We’ve split them into tools for parents to teach their children from home and resources for teachers to teach their students via E-learning programs. We hope this helps teachers and parents of children in primary schools from EYFS to year 6 to continue the academic year. There will be a follow up blog to include some of the best resources geared for secondary school students. Whether you are a parent or teacher to children of any age range - we have got you covered.
Resources for parents with primary school children
Twinkl is a publishing house for parents to help their children learn and now includes free school closure packs filled with learning activities.
- School closure packs designed and approved by qualified teachers which include engaging illustrated activities with easy to understand topics
- A new set of learning activities posted everyday to ensure new lesson plans each day
- Guest presenters like Joe Wicks (delivering some great P.E lessons) or live sessions so children can feel involved in the learning. Here is a link to some brilliant 5 minute workout videos by Joe Wicks here
Daily audio book from David Walliams
David Walliams, comedian turned children's book author, has pledged to release one audiobook everyday for 30 days to help keep the nation positive during this uncertain time.
- Everyday at 11:00 AM he releases an audiobook written and performed by himself
- These hilarious short stories, including ‘Grubby Gertrude’ and ‘Bertha the Blubberer’, are perfect lunchtime listening for the family
- They are an engaging way of getting children excited about literature and provides something that the whole family can look forward to
- Some parents have shared how the reward of relaxing and listening to the story together has helped motivate children to focus on a learning activity before the story Click the link for his latest on, “Humbert the Hungry Baby”, give it a listen to hear one of the “Worlds worst children”
Resources for teachers in primary schools
This publishing house has lesson material created for teachers by teachers and is ideal for anyone wanting to set work for primary school children.
- TTS has kindly put together three free curriculum specific education packs for EYFS, KS1, and KS2 students - this includes over 40 learning activities to support with teachers during school closures
- There are age specific activity books for EYFS, KS1, and KS2 learning for teachers to easily tailor the learning packs they provide for home learning
- To download each of the three activity books mentioned above, along with the respective answer books, click here
Pearson is a very well respected company in the education sector that is also kindly offering some of their services for free to teachers to help continue teaching. Once you request access you can begin using the resources.
- They are providing primary school support by offering free access to ActiveLearn; their online platform that has digital learning resources in four core curriculum subjects: English, maths, science, and reading
- The teaching packs include hundreds of Ebooks, practice books, and planning and assessment materials that teachers can send through to their students
- Pearson also provides an opportunity for teachers to upskill as the packs include some informative front-of-class teaching material.
- Click here to request access for these fantastic materials
These resources can be of help to anyone currently affected by school closures. Make sure to keep an eye out for the next blog which includes some of the best free secondary school resources.